Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Sounds by Sick James
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Pretty In Ink
- At 7:30 PM, Catch a live talk from Squid Empire author Danna Staaf as she reveals everything there is to know about giant squids and of course, their ink.
- At 8:30 PM, Learn about tebori—a centuries-old tattoo tradition inspired by Japanese art and lore—from Taki Ryudaibori Kitamura of San Jose-based studio State of Grace Tattoo, and enjoy a live demo of the technique by artist Horitomo (please note, this program may contain partial nudity).
NightLife Tattoo Shop
6 - 10 PM
- Watch as tattoo artists Dr. Christine Liu,Yazmeen Norwood, and Arlene Yap combine their knowledge of neuroscience and medical illustration with their passion for body art at our first ever LIVE tattoo pop-up!
- Need some time to think before you ink? We’ve got you covered with temporary tattoos designed by local illustrator and muralist Nigel Sussman.
6 - 10 PM
- Start your tattoo artist apprenticeship at the Museum of Craft and Design’s “Cuttle Flash” workshop, where you’ll have an opportunity to hand paint tattoo flash designs with real cuttlefish ink.
*For more details about getting tattooed at NightLife (including flash sheets and pricing), be sure to check out the artists’ individual Instagram pages: Dr. Christine Liu, Yazmeen Norwood, and Arlene Yap. Please note: there will be limited slots. Client selection will be up to the discretion of each artist.
A few don't-miss NightLife details:
- To help keep staff and guests safe, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for entry, and boosters and indoor masking are strongly encouraged. Feeling under the weather? Please NightLife another time! View health and safety information here.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
- Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, planetarium passes are required and capacity is limited. Passes are available online in advance for an additional $5 while supplies last to reserve a seat at a 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, or 9:30 pm planetarium show. Please see our FAQs for more details. (Please note: A limited number of standby seats will be available for all showtimes as space allows on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium.)
- Beverages are available at various bars throughout the building, but food must enjoyed outdoors or in the Academy Cafe only.
- NightLife is for adults 21+ only. Photo ID required.
- Still have Qs? See our FAQs here.
Discover how a deeper understanding of Earth might help us spot other living worlds light-years away.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Join us for an evening dedicated to the inspiring intersections of science and art.
From fossil-inspired Pokémon to classic games & a Super Smash Bros. tournament, this NightLife it’s Game On.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Behold as both humans and animals use the power of illusion to mystify your senses for one magical night.