Browse a rich array of educational resources from the award-winning show, Habitat Earth.
How are teachers using these materials in the classroom?
- The materials are great visuals. I generally use them in support of a lesson. I am always trying to align interesting real world processes with the common core standards. Habitat Earth is an excellent bridge and I feel like I can be creative in implementing the Habitat Earth materials.
- I would use it with my students to give them a window into the Earth's different habitats and to introduce them to the concept that all our actions, large and small, have consequences.
- Even though some activities need to be adapted to my students' grade level, I want to introduce the topics to my students to provide background knowledge and increase vocabulary.
- I will use Habitat Earth with the third grade ecosystem standard. I think it will be the main part of the curriculum and add to it as I find more lessons. The video had good vocabulary for the unit and show the students how animals are dependent on one another. The hands on activities (Habitat match up; raptor migrations) I found will be good for showing the students the importance of making models and predictions.
- I am primarily using the videos as hooks to begin learning about a topic. I will hopefully be able to have students watch them independently to gain further knowledge for reporting on a subject.
How are students responding to the videos and lessons?
- They love this video as it is simple yet impressive. They responded with questions [about] how humans can undo the damage we have done to the Earth.
- They loved the one video they already saw. Some admitted that the language was hard for them but having the visuals to refer to was very helpful and the students would often refer to the visuals from the film.
- Students were eager to ask questions and say "I wonder" statements. They wanted to share their new thoughts with a partner and were more confident in a small group setting.
- Students were enthralled with the video. They had a higher level of understanding after viewing and it showed in classroom discussions.
How are teachers responding to Habitat Earth in the classroom?
- I value this resource because it integrates the fundamentals of information about nature in a modern/digital setting.
- High quality instructional material that is stunning and engaging is worth its weight in gold.
- Because of budget constraints, we can not take our students on field trips or expensive programs. This video allows us to bring the world to them. It enriches our lessons...and it also inspires us, educators, to become more creative in the way we deliver our lessons. It unlocks possibilities when it comes to educating our students.
- It allows students, who do not have the interest in science to observe the vast knowledge available to them to intrigue their imagination and dreams to become scientists and researchers.
- An excellent survey of ecological relationships and the link to global dynamics and environmental change. Very well done!
What suggestions do teachers have for us?
- Make curricular links to literacy standards and perhaps concentrate on vocabulary highlights for ELL students.
- Make a high school science specific series!
- It would be great if the narration was translated to Chinese.
- I would love even more teacher created lessons and resources to use with these videos. Perhaps an online forum that allows other teachers to talk about how they are using these videos/resources as well as any complementary lessons they are doing.
Habitat Earth in the Classroom
Impressions from Educators
Hear what teachers have to say about Academy professional development and our educational products.
Habitat Earth Educator Guides