Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Says Who? Vol. 3 Gender
Buy ahead to skip the line and save on tickets. 21+.
What's gender got to do with it? More than you think. Hear how scientists push the boundaries of the binary to create change and expand inclusion. The third and final volume in the NightLife: Says Who? series amplifies the work of scientists who are paving the way for progress in a patriarchal system that often works against them.
Sounds by Cheekie Fresco
Check out Cheekie Fresco's exclusive NightLife playlist on the NightLife Spotify page.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- At 7:30 PM, Join the Academy’s Institute for Biodiversity Science & Sustainability (IBSS) Program Manager, Kel Larkin, for a talk exploring the fun-damentals of gender and the diverse ways gender is expressed throughout the animal kingdom.
- At 8:30 PM, Join comedian Francesca Fiorentini for a biting stand-up set followed by a no-holds-barred panel discussion with cardiac surgeon, Dr. Amy Fiedler, director of research at the Distributed AI Research Institute (DAIR), Dr. Alex Hanna, astrophysicist Dr. Nia Imara, and Academy head librarian, Rebekah Kim. Stick around for a stand-up set to close it out with comedian Emily Van Dyke.
Academy Story Time
- Gather ‘round to hear Drag Story Hour reader VERA! read all about standout moments from the Academy’s history as one of the oldest scientific institutions in the West.
6 - 10 PM
- Immerse yourself in the world of zines with Rock Paper Scissors Collective, create your own, and explore zines from other local creators.
- Get hands-on with take-home MakeArt Kits from the Museum of Craft and Design created to help you rewrite old narratives by infusing personal experience with artistic expression.
6 - 10 PM
- Snap your story with a portrait from film photographer Holiday Hagan.
- Grab the narrative by the horns and record your own story with Sarah Shimazaki, host of the podcast, Outside Voices.
*Featured events will be held in both English and ASL.
Says Who? Series Essentials
While partners and panels will change with each event, every Says Who? will feature these activations:
- Tell: Grab the narrative by the horns and record your own story with Sarah Shimazaki, host of the podcast, Outside Voices.
- Craft: Get hands-on with take-home MakeArt Kits from the Museum of Craft and Design created to help you rewrite old narratives by infusing personal experience with artistic expression.
- Capture: Snap your story with a portrait from film photographer Holiday Hagan.
- Design: Immerse yourself in the world of zines with Rock Paper Scissors Collective, create your own, and explore zines from other local creators.
- Listen: Gather ‘round to hear Drag Story Hour readers Panda Dulce, VERA!, and Jota Mercury read all about standout moments from the Academy’s history as one of the oldest scientific institutions in the West. Plus, discover the untold stories of some incredible Academy scientists of the past told by passionate Academy scientists of the present.
A few don't-miss NightLife details:
- NightLife guests are no longer required to provide proof of full vaccination or a recent negative test. We still strongly encourage all guests to stay up-to-date on their vaccinations, and to mask up indoors. As always, if you’re feeling under the weather, please NightLife another time. View health and safety information here.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
- Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, planetarium passes are required and capacity is limited. Passes are available online in advance for an additional $5 while supplies last to reserve a seat at a 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, or 9:30 pm planetarium show. Please see our FAQs for more details. (Please note: A limited number of standby seats will be available for all showtimes as space allows on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium.)
- Beverages are available at various bars throughout the building, but food must be enjoyed outdoors or in the Academy Cafe only.
- NightLife is for adults 21+ only. Valid, physical photo ID required.
- Still have Qs? See our FAQs here.
In this Tour of the Universe, we will explore a few of the amazing contributions women have made to astronomy.
In honor of Steinhart Aquarium’s 100th anniversary, let's party like it’s 1923 & celebrate a century of wonder.
See what happens when art and nature collide at this NightLife honoring 10 years of BigPicture.
We’re closing out NightLife LIVE with grungy-synth sounds from Tanukichan & our soulful opener Lalin St. Juste.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.
One, two, NightLife’s comin’ for you. This Halloween, don’t sleep on NightLife.