Academy’s iconic adults-only evening event allows visitors to explore the museum at night
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (May 4, 2021) — Calling all creatures of the night: Starting Thursday, May 13th, NightLife returns to the California Academy of Sciences! From basking in the glow of one of the largest living coral reef displays in the world to taking in the interstellar views from the Living Roof, guests can explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different. With live DJs, outdoor bars, ambiance lighting, and nearly 40,000 live animals (including familiar faces like Claude), the night is sure to be wild!
To help keep guests safe and ensure everyone has plenty of room to physically distance, NightLife will be limited to 20% capacity and have timed-entry tickets. Starting today, all guests—including Academy members—can reserve tickets online for a specific entry timeslot. While expanded programming ramps back up, NightLife will only be on select Thursdays; scheduled events are available here. As always, all guests must be 21+ to attend.
For those unable to attend in person, the Academy will continue to offer its free virtual NightSchool programs—informal online "classes" with an eclectic mix of science and culture—streaming live (and available as recordings afterwards) on the Academy’s YouTube channel and Facebook page.
More information about the Academy’s health and safety procedures are available online here. Read below for some don’t-miss NightLife details and highlights:
- Reservations are required for entry to the Osher Rainforest and the Shake House. Reservations are first-come, first-served and capacity is limited. Simply scan the QR code posted in the front lobby to reserve your entry time.
- Guests can venture into the Academy’s latest aquarium exhibit, Venom: Fangs, Stingers, and Spines to encounter live venomous animals and learn the power of venom to both harm and heal.
- Visit the BigPictureexhibit in the Piazza to marvel at the most recent winners of the BigPicture Natural Photography competition.
- Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Academy Café and West Garden Terrace including a variety of grab-and-go options, craft cocktails, and more. All dining and drinking is permitted inside the Academy Cafe and outdoors in the West Garden.
- Please embrace the Academy’s three favorite Ws: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, and Watch your distance. All guests will be required to wear a mask and social distancing will be enforced according to the latest public health and safety guidelines.
- Be on the lookout for more information about Morrison Planetarium shows and VIP experiences as they rollout for NightLife later this summer.
If you are a journalist and would like to receive Academy press releases please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi-res and low-res image downloads are available for editorial use. Contact us at email@example.com to request access.